Exchange Programs - Erasmus Placement

Internships abroad:


Erasmus Internship Program

Erasmus Internship Program is a funding line of Erasmus + Program. There are very good chances to get such a scholarship.

What is supported:

Internships of 2-12 months are supported, preferably also at companies and research institutions outside a university. Diploma and master theses are also practical work. The internships must be related to your studies and must be recognized (but not necessarily as a course credit).

You have to organize the internship yourself and then discuss this with the Erasmus coordinator.

Who is supported:

Heidelberg students studying for a teaching degree, bachelor's degree or master's degree. Students who have already been abroad with Erasmus are also eligible for funding. Each student has an Erasmus funding account of 12 months per study phase (Bsc/MSc/PhD), teaching students 24 months.

In addition to undergraduates, graduate students can also be funded under the program, as e.g. between Bachelor and Master studies. It is important here that the internship is completed within one year of graduation. An internship as a graduate student is added to the previous study cycle. The prerequisite for this is that you are still enrolled at the time of application.

Where to:

Eligible countries are:

Member States of the EU (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and their overseas territories)

Countries of the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway)
• Turkey
• Macedonia

Excludes internships at the following institutions:

  • at all European Institutions
  • at all institutions managing EU programs
  • at national/diplomatic representations of the home/country of origin of the grantees
  • at UN agencies and their sub-organizations


  • Practical stay within the scope of studies, self-organized
  • Recognition of the internship as study-related (by the coordinator)
  • Stay in one of the producing countries
  • At least 2 months


The amount of funding depends on the destination country and is about 250,00 - 350,00 EUR per month.

Remuneration is no longer included in the calculation. The Erasmus scholarship from 300 euros counts as income for the Auslandsbafög.

Information and application

Heidelberg University cooperates with Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences and has transferred tasks to them. In Karlsruhe, the KOOR/BEST coordination office is responsible for selection and financial allocation..

You can apply on a continuous basis, but KOOR/BEST must receive your complete documents at least one month before the start of the internship.

  • The application form for an Erasmus grant with personal data and bank details
  • The Training Agreement between the placement site, the university (Erasmus coordinator) and the student
  • The Questionnaire and check list for professional, cultural and linguistic preparation
  • The insurance declaration with details of the following insurances with the name of the insurance company, the insurance number and cost details per month, related to the duration of the internship:
  1. Health insurance (= MANDATORY). Indication of compulsory student health insurance or, if applicable, family insurance or private health insurance.
  2. Accident insurance (=MANDATORY). Details of private accident / family accident insurance for abroad. Accident insurance at the workplace through the internship site alone is not sufficient.
  3. Liability insurance(=MANDATORY). Details of liability insurance. Liability insurance at the workplace by the internship site alone is not sufficient.

NOTE: The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in Bonn offers an insurance package that includes all three insurances mentioned above. Responsible at the DAAD is Ms. Palm, Tel. 0228 / 882-294 or -400, E-Mail: palm@daad.de


ERASMUS - Placement Agreement

Upon receipt of all the above documents, the monthly residence allowance will be calculated and the Placement Agreement will be issued and sent to the student via email attachment. It must be signed by the student and returned to KOOR/BEST. After KOOR/BEST has received the signed Placement Agreement and the complete application documents, the first part of the grant will be paid.