Student Advisory ServiceStudent Advisory Service

Student Advisory Service

The Student Advisory Service is your first point of contact for all questions about studying at the Faculty of Biosciences regardless of whether you are interested in a Bachelor's or Master's degree programme or are already enrolled. Central topics are:

  • Questions about the content and structure of the degree programme, the examination regulations or the module handbook
  • Study requirements, application and enrolment
  • Recognition and crediting of achievements
  • Advice on changing subjects (transfer student) or exchanging university places (also: issuing the relevant certificates)
  • General problems during your studies
  • Orientation at the university: redirecting to other counselling services

Even if a topic is not mentioned explicitly, please feel free to contact us at any time by e-mail or phone.

Frequent Topics

Transfer and Change of Institution

Applications for higher semesters as transfer students or students that exchanged their university place are possible until 15 January / 15 July (despite COVID). There is an admission restriction and only free study places are reallocated.

Applications are made via the university portal. On the university's website, you will find general information on the application procedure and the required documents.

As a transfer student, you need a certificate of study time credit. The certificate is issued on the basis of creditable academic achievements that justify placement in a higher subject-related semester. Equivalent study and examination achievements in content, acquired competences, form and workload are creditable. The credit points awarded provide initial indications.
The certificate can be submitted up to one month after the application deadline (otherwise no achievements acquired in the current semester are shown).

Please contact Dr Andrew Wolk (study programmes with regards to biology) or Dr Rainer Beck (biochemistry) in this regard.

International Applicants

Special regulations apply to foreign applicants. You can obtain information from the

International Office of Heidelberg University
Seminarstrasse 2
69117 Heidelberg.  

Heidelberg university offers a subject-specific preparatory course (Propädeutikum) for foreign students through the Studienkolleg.

Recognition and Crediting

There are many situations in which you can have your achievements recognised. For example, if you have changed your place of study or subject, if you have been abroad or if you are studying BioX in parallel with another subject.

Um eine Leistung anzuerkennen sind folgende Unterlagen notwendig:

  • Nachweis über die erbrachte Leistung, inkl. ECTS und Note
  • Beschreibung des Inhalts bzw. der Lern- und Qualifikationsziele Ihrer erbrachten Leistung, z.B. durch die Veranstaltungsbeschreibung oder den Eintrag aus dem Modulhandbuch in der jeweils gültigen Fassung
  • Falls im Ausland oder in einem anderen Notensystem erbracht: Erklärung des Notensystems
  • Modul, in welchem Sie die Leistung anerkannt haben möchten. Hier können Sie sich an den Modulbeschreibungen im Modulhandbuch orientieren

Am einfachsten ist es, Sie lassen uns die verschiedenen Dokumente per Mail zukommen.


In addition to the certificate of subject counselling for changes of subject, the subject counselling service can also issue or sign other certificates for you, e.g.

  • Certificate of study status for international students
  • BAföG certificates
  • DAAD certificates

Certified transcripts of records or grade transcripts can be obtained from the examination secretariats.
Certificates in connection with internships can be obtained from the subject advisors.

You can find many common applications (leave of absence, certificate of study status) in the university's central download centre.

Subject Advisor

Dr. Andrea Wolk

  • Biology 50 %, BA and M.Edu
  • Biosciences BSc
  • Molecular Biosciences MSC
  • Study requirements, application and enrolment
  • Recognition and crediting Bachelor and Master
Andrea Wolk

Dr. Rainer Beck

  • Biochemistry, BSc and M.Sc
  • Study requirements, application and enrolment
  • Recognition and crediting Bachelor and Master