The Master's program in Biochemistry started for the first time in the winter semester 2015/16 and is limited to 37 places per year. The program can only be started in the winter semester.
Application period for the winter semester:
February 1 - March 15
Date of selection interviews: mid-May (the interviews will be held online via Zoom)
Who can apply?
You can apply for the Master's program in Biochemistry if you:
- Have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science degree in biochemistry OR a science degree with the biochemistry portion of a minor. (If the degree certificate is not available at the time of application, it must be submitted later for final admission).
- if you have excellent English and German language skills (Please note, do not apply unless you are fluent in both English and German!)
Study places are allocated by means of a selection procedure.
Interested parties with a university entrance qualification apply for participation in the selection process directly to Heidelberg University. Please follow the link online application, the entire application process will be done online.
- Copies of acquired college and university certificates
- Transcript of academic achievements to date. The Bachelor's degree certificate must be submitted later for final admission.
- A letter of motivation (max. one DIN A4 page)
- A curriculum vitae
- For non-German native speakers: Proof of both German and English language skills (see selection statutes)
Note: The upload of language proofs during the online application process is optional. However, your language skills in both English and German will be tested during the selection interview, please do not apply unless you speak both languages fluently.
The allocation of study places takes place via a two-stage selection procedure.
A pre-selection for invitation to the selection interviews is made by the selection committee Biochemistry Master on the basis of:
- examination results of the underlying bachelor's degree program that are relevant for the master's degree program in biochemistry
- additional achievements that could provide information about aptitude and motivation
The best-ranked applicants will be invited for an interview.
Date of the interview discussions: mid-May (will be held online, via zoom)
Note: The selection interviews will take place on one day only.The invitations to the selection interviews will be sent by e-mail. It is therefore essential to provide your email address correctly when applying!
For the final ranking for admission to the study program, the results of the pre-selection and the interview will be weighted in half. The details of the selection procedure for the Master's program in Biochemistry are laid down in a selection statute and can be found there.