Mediastudio for Lecturers
Welcome to the faculty media studio at INF 501 (HBIGS Office). We empower lectures to record videos for lectures, seminars and conferences with high video and audio quality. Additionally, you can also join zoom calls and simulate a digital lecture hall.
Our setup (Fig. 1 & 2 – Overview) allows for simple and convenient operation. You only have to bring your laptop (required ports: HDMI or USB-C) and your presentation. We will greet you and demonstrate how to use the studio. You only need to worry about your talk. If you are interested in a live session, please arrive 15 minutes early so we can properly set up your zoom call.
We offer the following modes of presentation:
- TED-Talk (Fig. 4): You will appear in front of your slides as you would if you were standing on stage
- Keynote (Fig. 5): You will appear embedded into your slides and can directly point and interact with the content.
- Tablet: As replacement of traditional blackboard, you can use your tablet in combination with your presentation.
Additionally, we offer the option to insert the participants and chat during a zoom call to be recorded in high studio quality.
Using controllers (Fig. 7) you can switch between these modes seamlessly while you are recoding.
While you record, you can monitor yourself on the TV screen infront of you. This assures eye contact and better interaction with your virtual audience. Our setup allows you to stop you recording at any time if you want to take a short break or want to redo a section. We will edit the individual recordings together afterward. In a zoom call you can see the participants on a separate display below the monitor to allow for better interaction with your viewers (Fig. 8).
If you are interested in recording a lecture or streaming one via zoom, email us to make an appointment at email@example.com. We will then show you how to use the studio and our HiWis will assist you with any question you may have. Don’t hesitate to get in contact with us if you have any open questions.
We can provide editing and post-processing services if needed.
Using the media studio is free for associates of the faculty of biosciences.
Please consider the following for your session:
- Don’t wear green clothes or anything with text or a logo on it. We use greenscreen technology and the
- We recommend to split longer presentation into smaller parts (15-30 minutes). Moodle uploads are limited to 250MB and while we can compress almost any video down to that size, the quality loss becomes very apparent with any video longer than 60 minutes. Additionally, experience shows, it makes recording easier for you, editing easier for us and watching easier for the students if there are distinct parts to long lectures.
- We recommend a 16:9 aspect ration to better utilize the available screen real estate.
- Computer: Windows 10, Ryzen 7 3800 (8 core, 16 thread @ 3,9GHz), GeForce 1660, 32GB RAM, 4k Samsung Display
- Camera: DSLR, Nikon D7500 + 18-140mm lens
- Microphone: Rode Wireless GO + Rode Lavalier GO
- Lighting: 3x Elgato Key Light, Professional Studio LED Panel with 2800 lumens, Colour Adjustable
- Controller: 1x Elgato Stream Deck & 1x Elgato Stream Deck Mini - Live Content Creation Controller, Logitech Spotlight Presenter
- Acquisition card: Blackmagic QUAD Deck Link HDMI
- Da Vinci Resolve