The Heidelberg University Faculty of Biosciences is one of the most vibrant and interactive Life Science Faculties in Europe. It covers a broad area of disciplines ranging from molecular life sciences to biodiversity, including biotechnology and pharmacy, and addressing questions at all experimental and computational levels from structural to systems biology. Several examples of our high impact publications, awards and prestigious grants can be found under ‘News’.
The Faculty of Biosciences is part of Heidelberg's unique Campus structure, the Neuenheimer Feld. It hosts numerous adjacent faculties as well as excellent non-university research institutions.
Faculty members are organized in Centers and Institutes, most of which also host colleagues from different faculties or with dual affiliations.
- Biochemistry Center (BZH)
- Center for Molecular Biology (ZMBH)
- Centre for Organismal Studies (COS)
- Interdisciplinary Center for Neurosciences (IZN)
- Institute of Pharmacy and Molecular Biotechnology (IPMB)
These institutes, together with campus-wide Core Facilities offer ideal research and training opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, postdocs, junior group leaders and senior researchers alike. Heidelberg's success in the German Excellence Initiative allowed the establishment of innovative structures such as inter-institutional partnerships and research networks such as the Cluster CellNetworks. A reflection of the breadth and quality of research in the Heidelberg Life science community are also numerous third party funded collaborative research centers and training networks.
- Central Institute of Mental Health in Mannheim (ZI Mannheim)
- European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
- German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ)
- Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies (HITS)
- Interdisciplinary Center for Scientific Computing (IWR)
- Max Planck Institut for Medical Research Heidelberg (MPI)
- Medical Faculties of the University (Heidelberg and Mannheim)
Copyright Image, Universitätsklinikum